Monday, March 19, 2018

John Cena Shares His Love For Kids And How They Inspire Him | KCA 2018

John Cena has no children of his own, but the WWE superstar has practically dedicated his work to kids.


In this March 11, 2017 file photo, John Cena hosts the Kids' Choice Awards in Los Angeles. Cena will return as host for the 2018 Kids' Choice Awards on Saturday. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File)

Cena has fulfilled nearly 600 wishes for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, more than any other celebrity. He's hosting Nickelodeon’s 2018 Kids' Choice Awards for the second year in a row this Saturday from 8:00 P.M. (ET/PT) on Nickelodeon USA and YTV Canada — one of three projects in the works with the children's network: Cena is lending his voice to an original villain named Baron Draxum in the brand-new 2D animated series Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, premiering late 2018, and executive producing Nickelodeon's new kids' competition show, Keep it Spotless, premiering Monday 26th March 2018 at 7:30 P.M. (ET/PT).

The 40-year-old entertainer is also branching out in print, with his first children's book, Elbow Grease, about an undersized monster truck with big determination. It is set for release in October 2018.

He talked with The Associated Press about his abiding love for children.

AP: What's it like working with Make-A-Wish?

Cena: I try to put myself in that perspective of if I had one thing to wish for, where would I fall on that list? I don't know exactly if I'd be in my top 100. So for me to be the name of like, 'I would like to hang out with this person for the day,' that's a pretty strong statement... It really is pretty magical when they get a really intimate experience with the individual and then they get to go see them be a superhero (in a WWE performance). I'll do that as long as I can, as long as they're asking me to do it.

AP: Why do you think you connect so much to kids?

Cena: One, I just have nonstop energy. I love energy and I love excitement, and I think kids have the same. They have such a lust for life, such an honest and genuine attack on every day. And their responses, too, their emotions: They don't hide how they feel. You can tell when a child is embarrassed. You can tell when they're excited. You can tell when they're happy, and you can tell when something you do makes them happy.... I love that honesty. I think that's really what connects me to young people, is they're not trying to shade you with anything. They'll give it to you straight.


In this March 11, 2017 file photo, John Cena hosts the 2017 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards in Los Angeles. Cena will return as host for Nickelodeon's 2018 Kids' Choice Awards on Saturday. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File)

AP: What can you say about your new children's book?

Cena: It takes from the activity I had with my brothers growing up in a family of five boys: a lot of roughhousing, a lot of harassment — and I mean that in a brotherly way — a lot of constant sizing each other up. But at the same time it's about the values that it's taken me four decades on this planet to learn, like don't be afraid to try something new, because if you don't try anything new, you'll never learn anything. Don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone. Never take someone else's estimation of, 'You're not good enough' or 'You're not big enough' as final, just use it as motivation to try to keep pushing forward... So this little 18, 19-page book kind of gives all of those lessons at once, and I'm very, very proud of it.

AP: You're playing a dad with a teenage daughter in the new film Blockers, opening April 6. How was it to express such vulnerability onscreen?

Cena: I think there's a certain amount of intrigue in like, well what does a big guy really, really act like? Are they really that jaded and hard-edged, or are they actually human beings? I'm a human being, I really am. I'm much more of a softie than I am Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry. So any chance I get to do something like I'm doing in Blockers, where the guy is just a fit guy but he's a stay-at-home dad... I don't mind being vulnerable, I don't mind showing that because it develops plot of story, it develops sympathy, and you genuinely feel like I can relate to this person, even though it's this big guy who I have no connection with.

AP: How have you been able to find such purpose in your work?

Cena: I've swung and missed so many times, I'm glad nobody is keeping track except me. I think with failure comes embarrassment and comes humility. A lot of the reason we spend valuable minutes wandering away from purpose is because we're always afraid about what people will say and what people will think... I stopped caring about what other people thought and started caring about, like, what am I going to do that's going to make my life happy and make my life effective? ...Maybe that's why I'm trying all this crazy stuff: doing comedy, doing a little bit of acting, reading the news, hosting some TV shows, doing animated stuff, doing WWE still. It's because those things make me happy and I'm not worried about — I feel confident in the performance I've given. I just try to do my best.

Be sure to catch all the Orange Carpet looks at the Nickelodeon’s 2018 Kids' Choice Awards, live on Saturday March 24th at 8 P.M. (ET/PT) on Nickelodeon USA and YTV in Canada, and on Nickelodeon channels around the world within hours of the live show!

More Nick: How Nickelodeon Casts Social Influencers!

Original source: New Canaan News.
Follow NickALive! on Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, via RSS, on Instagram, and/or Facebook for the latest Nickelodeon and Kids' Choice Awards 2018 News and Highlights!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say by leaving a comment below! NickALive! welcomes friendly and respectful comments. Please familiarize with the blog's Comment Policy before commenting. All new comments are moderated and won't appear straight away.